Tuesday, March 18, 2014

We're Not in Kansas Anymore-March 17th

 HAPPY HAPPY St. PATTY'S DAY! Today we had quite the awakening. I woke up randomly and about 30 seconds later, there was a little rumble and then our whole room started shaking/swaying! At first I thought my stomach was growling hard core but we actually survived our first 4.7 earthquake!!!! Super exciting. We heard from President Hall this morning that there was one in Santa Clarita last night as well that was a 3 something and then the one this morning.

We are safe and well looked after! We were kinda dumb and just stayed laying in our beds (oops...lesson learned!) and only 2 minutes later, Bishop Patton was calling us to make sure we were okay and members from the ward started texting us as well. I LOVE THIS WARD! They are such great people. A couple of them where definitely teasing us "out of staters" but it was pretty funny. Needless to say, we are definitely going to take our earthquake preparedness stuff from President Hall seriously and get on that today....
Don't let that other picture fool you... Mornings are DOABLE and better but this is still how I feel most mornings haha

Helaman 5:27 "And behold, when they had said these words, the earth shook exceedingly, and the walls of the (apartment) did shake as if they were about to tumble to the earth; but behold, they did not fall. And behold they that were in the (apartment) were Nephites...missionaries of the Lord."

This week was amazing! Satan was definitely hating life.. One girl we met with, prayed for her very first time. She started off laughing a little bit and told us she felt really dumb but that she'd give it a try. When she finished we asked how she felt. She'd kept her head down but she looked up and had tears running down her face. She said "Guys I'm CRYING right now! Is that normal?" The Spirit was crazy strong! We sat in silence for a couple of minutes and really just let the spirit testify of the love she had just prayed to feel. I know that Heavenly Father has been waiting a loooong time to hear that prayer and it was such a relief to see those promised blessings of peace and happiness come so quickly in a time of need.

One of the guys we met with, we at one point asked him what it meant to him to repent. He opened up a ton and told us about what a rough up bringing he had. It was heart breaking! It made me super grateful for all of the blessings I have received. He went on though on his own and talked about how much he learned from even the very worst experiences and how it all played in to him becoming Christian after he graduated."Even though I had a good reason to do what I was doing, I knew that it wasn't okay." Plan of Salvation is something I have gained a HUGE testimony of on my mission. Heavenly Father is always so aware of everything we are going through but I know that it is truly a plan of happiness. He is going to give us what we need (not always what we want) to make us into the best people and the things that will make us happiest in the end.

I love California! I love the craziness of San Fernando. I love falling asleep to city noise; honking and sirens and people above/below/next to/across from us. I love the food trucks. I love how many different cultures you can find in just one day. I love the weather. I even love the earthquakes ;) More than anything, I love these people! I love having the privilege to be a part of their lives for a minute and seeing the changes they experience. I love watching the Atonement become a part of somebody's life. I love hearing people pray for the first time. I love when they start to truly believe Heavenly Father loves them. And I know He does!

2 Nephi 5:27 "And it came to pass, that we lived after the manner of happiness." I am so happy! We are safe. And we had a good reminder this week that we are protected. I feel the power of the prayers people say for us every single day and am so grateful for them! Hope you have a fabulous week! LOVE YOU ALL!

With faith in every wobbling footstep,
Sister Olsen


We're Earthquake Survivors

No comments:

Post a Comment